It was late in the afternoon and this female blue cross began working hard at gathering the fresh leaves into her nest. It's funny how she starts in all the corners and pushes them back to the nest.
My black and white tegu female laid over 40 eggs but unfortunately all were infertile. As you can see the eggs are all dented in the nest. I did put them in the incubator for a week even though I knew they were bad just to be 100% sure. She built a beautiful large nest and spent about 5 days constructing it and laid the eggs while daytime temps were in the 80's and high humidity. This is the second year she laid infertile eggs even after watching her mate with a proven male. Hopefully my other females will have better luck.
I think the ackies like their new enclosure. I found 5 eggs today as I noticed the female was now totally deflated, hopefully they will hatch out. Only 4 are good since I smashed one as I was digging around in the cage. I found the eggs about 4 inches from the top.
I wanted to fully utilize a corner in my garage so I figured I would make an ackie enclosure at ground level and build the caiman lizard cage on top. You can see photos of my progress in the Photos: Cages section. I first used drylok to paint everything with 2-3 coats. Since both of these enclosures are high humidity I wanted to lay
the drylok on thick and I also caulked all the corners. Next I built up from the base and tried to plan it out. This was my first attempt at a semi aquatic cage, but I used to have many fish tanks that ranged in size with
the largest being 150 gallons. For the water section I used a 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank and connected a 200 gallon rated canister filter with UV, and 300 watt heater. I know for the tank size it’s a bit much but I’d
rather go over for both heating and filtration than wish I had more later. I tried to use material that wouldn’t rot with such high humidity so I used all types of plastics around the stock tank like shower paneling and pvc molding for the sides. For decoration I was fortunate enough to use all types of wood from my property like bamboo and vines, and I picked up all the live plants from HD. This project was quite expensive with the main expenses being lights, filter, glass, and then all other materials which add up very quickly. I wanted to do it right as the ackies were due for an upgrade and I wanted to make sure the caimans have proper water filtration since this is my first go round with a semi aquatic lizard. There were a lot of details for this enclosure and I’m pretty happy with how it turned out even if the caimans out grow it in a year or so. When that happens I would love to look into maybe some
Shinisaurus to put into that enclosure!